As science continues to discover more cannabis oil benefits and hemp oil benefits, many people are still confused by the differences between the two oils. Although they are essentially cousins, they have significant differences in use and benefits:
1. Cannabis Plants vs. Hemp Plants
Both hemp and cannabis are varieties of the same species, cannabis sativa. But while hemp grows tall, fibrous stalks and requires little growing space, cannabis plants are shorter, leafier and require more space. Hemp oil is taken mainly from the seeds of the plant, while cannabis oil comes from the stalks, leaves and flowers of the plant. Each plant is cultivated, harvested and processed differently to accentuate different properties and active compounds.
2. THC vs. CBD
It’s important to understand the differences between these active compounds:
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)—This is the compound found in higher concentrations in some varieties of cannabis oil—the one famous for its psychoactive properties. THC affects the brain’s perceptions of pleasure, thinking, coordination, movement, memory, time and sensory perception—the typical “high” people think about with marijuana use.
- Cannabidiol (CBD)—CBD, found in higher concentrations in hemp oil and some versions of cannabis oil, is a very different chemical compound that actually blocks the psychoactive effects of THC and has a wide variety of therapeutic uses.
3. Cannabis Oil Benefits and Uses
Cannabis oil containing only negligible or no THC content is being used successfully and scientifically studied for several medical and therapeutic applications, including:
- Helping cancer patients manage nausea
- Improving appetite in AIDS patients
- Reducing stress and anxiety
- Treating depression
- Calming other mental health conditions
- Treating epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- Anti-inflammatory therapies
- Reversing alcoholism-associated brain damage
The key is to make sure to use a good quality cannabis oil with a certified level of CBD and negligible THC to avoid unwanted side effects.
4. Hemp Oil Benefits and Uses
Hemp seed oil has high concentrations of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, polyunsaturated fats, vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, calcium and phosphorus. Great for nutritional and topical application, some hemp oil benefits include:
- Balancing female hormones during menopause
- Moderating blood sugar
- Soothing skin with psoriasis
- Lowering bad cholesterol
- Boosting immunity
- Protecting the nervous system
5. Legal Status of Cannabis Oil and Hemp Oil
Cannabis oil and hemp oil are legal in all 50 states. Earthly Mist carries CBD Oil with no fillers or additives, if you want to enjoy the many benefits this oil can offer purchase you bottle today!